In Memory of Life: Prayer is...

Thursday, May 10, 2007

Prayer is...

Prayer is more than just a way of talking to God. It's quite interesting to note that, while reading for my Western religions course, I'm going through my Judaism text, and I come across a section on prayer.

The textbook outlines prayer in several ways, using the bible for support - and while it isn't really the best source of information, I'll concede this time, it has been used, and taken me to a whole new understanding.

1. The Psalms - a collection of collective and individual prayers; described as the prayer book for the second temple.

2. 1 Kgs 8:22-53 - King Solomon's prayer as a dedication of the temple to the Lord, one of the finest prayers

3. Deut 10: 20 - explained that we must serve our God, that prayer is service, a service of the heart.

4. 1 Sam 1 (inclusive) - Hannah (Samuel's mother) prays for a child. This is the prototype of the most sincere, spontaneous prayer; prayer requires inner commitment, the heart.

5. Psalms - Prayer is not just words, it is the "outpouring of the soul" and "a cry from the depths."

Other things are mentioned, but what this reminds me of is the end of Hillsongs' "You are My World" where they sang the reprise version of the songs, but Darlene says "we want to feel the heartbeat of the church, crying out to their God." That's what prayer is. It's the outcry of the heart, calling out to God.

I personally need to grow in prayer, and I realize this is a part of that step. So now, I will keep on pursuing, and growing, and I pray that everyone finds their own way of crying to God.

Amen.

No comments:

Bible Verse of the Day